+30 2310870670or at email@example.com
All hotels - restaurants
Published on 2014-10-26
Neraidochori is located 1,140m above the sea level, only 4 Km away from Pertouli and is just a short distance away from the beautiful grasslands which give their place to steep tops. The village is surrounded by the mountain tops Marosa (1,980m) from where one has a magnificent view of Mesochora villages, Megdovas Lake in Karditsa, and the plains of Thessaly, Neraida (2,000m) with a unique view, too, and Loupata.
Christodoulos Chatzipetros, a hero of the Greek Revolution against the Turks, who connected his own name as well as his home-town's, with legendary pages of the Greek history, came from Neraidochori.
An important 18th century monument is Saint Paraskevi's church. Saint Nikolaos' church is also a great monument (built in 1963, according to tradition).Worth-attending is the great fair of Saint Paraskevi which lasts for three days (July 26-28th).
CHURCHES - MONASTERIES
- Saint Nikolaos (1764), parish church, three-aisle (two wood-made colonnades). The church was burnt by the Turk-Albanians in 1823 and great damage was caused to the 18th century wall-paintings that adorn the walls. The church was restored in 1830.
- Saint Panteleimonas, (country church), (1648). It was said to be of a rectangular style according to the oral tradition. During the Turkish Occupation, the church served as a school. The new church was built in 1976 priest Christos help.
- Prophet Elias (country church) (before 1821). It was re-constructed in 1909, as it had collapsed, and in 1972 the church was restored to its present state with the money the villagers had raised.
- Saint Paraskevi or Transfiguration, located in Tsouka place. It is a basilica style church with a dome. The catholic of the destroyed Monastery Saint Paraskevi of Tsouka is still preserved. The church was built in 1792 by Giorgos or Gousos Chatzipetros next to the church of Transfiguration which was probably built in 1792. The restoration of the monastery took place in 1977 after a donation of Klearchos Dimitrios.